Crisis-ridden bourse NSEL defaulted for the 11th straight time on Tuesday as it could pay only Rs 29 crore to investors against a scheduled payment amount of Rs 174.72 crore.
In a fresh development in NSEL's Rs 5,600 crore scam, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Monday registered a preliminary inquiry into the payment crisis, suspecting large-scale money laundering in the beleaguered spot exchange, a senior official said.
Jignesh Shah, the promoter of Financial Technologies India Ltd, on Wednesday resigned from the board of MCX Stock Exchange, amid continuing Rs 5,600 crore (Rs 56 billion) payment crisis at group company NSEL.
Sebi filed a criminal complaint against the brokers with the economic offences wing, which on Friday registered a case under the Forward Contract Regulation Act 1952.
Chidambaram said NSEL was not a registered or recognised association under the FMC but got exemption even before it started its business.
Shah wants to focus this time on a mentoring role and help youngsters with innovative ideas live their entrepreneurship dreams by providing them a platform for "institutionalisation, globalisation and scaling up" of their ventures.
The NSEL chief said the exchange is also seeking the help of the Delhi government.
Economic Offences wing of Mumbai Police, which is probing the case, told the court that the investigating agency intended to file chargesheet against Shah and others on or before August 4.
In terms of value, this translates into more than Rs 300 crore (Rs 3 billion) of delivered quantity.
Chokshi and Chokshi, which was given December-end deadline to complete the audit of e-series contracts at NSEL, had sought extension to finish the work.
Crisis-ridden bourse NSEL paid about Rs 9 crore (Rs 90 million) against the scheduled payment amount of Rs 174.72 crore (Rs 1.74 billion), defaulting for the 17th straight time.
In the last three financial years and in the current financial year till November 15, SFIO was asked to investigate 167 cases.
In the interview to Business Standard last week, Chary had stated that the government's proposal to merge was unwarranted and that FTIL shareholders did not benefit from higher dividends from NSEL.
FTIL group is in big trouble after over Rs 5,500 crore payment crisis surfaced at its subsidiary NSEL last year.
Crisis-ridden National Spot Exchange Ltd (NSEL) on Wednesday said its Delhi-based member Mohan India Ltd has agreed to pay to the exchange about Rs 771 crore (Rs 7.71 billion) in final settlement over the next one year.
The exchanges have observed significant price and volume movement in the scrips of MCX in the recent past.
His comments came in response to a query on whether Securities and Exchange Board of India would be initiating action against MCX-SX which rejigged its board yesterday amid continuing payment crisis at its group firm National Spot Exchange Ltd.
In a severe indictment, commodity market regulator FMC has said Jignesh Shah and his firm FTIL are not 'fit and proper' to run any exchange in the country and charged him of being the "highest beneficiary" in the NSEL scam.
Earlier this month, the CBI registered a Preliminary Enquiry against former Sebi Chairman C B Bhave and ex-member K M Abraham, as also against Jignesh Shah-founded FTIL and MCX, among others.
The licence of MCX-SX is coming up for renewal before Sebi later this month.
Given the nature of the money stuck, investors are fast losing patience with the exchange.
Slew of resignations at NSEL over past month in the wake of scrutiny; MCX gaps caused by new-age norms for commexes.
If at all it was some great strategy, the delay has only helped the person they eventually arrested.
The Ministry's decision comes more than a year after the payment scam at NSEL came into light in July 2013.
The FMC had warned MCX that it would not renew contracts, allow new contracts and eventually take away the licence to run the bourse if the commodity exchange does not comply with regulatory norms.
In his capacity as an member of Parliament from South Mumbai, Minister of State for Telecom and Shipping Milind Deora today wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and sought his intervention to resolve the settlement crisis facing the National Spot Exchange Ltd.
Investigation to be over by weekend, Mumbai police EOW to lodge FIR thereafter.
To ensure faster recovery of dues for entities hit by the Rs 5,600-crore (Rs 56-billion) fraud at NSEL, the government last month ordered the merger of the bourse with its parent firm Financial Technologies (India) Ltd.
Manoj Vaish on Saturday took charge as Managing Director and CEO of the country's leading commodity exchange MCX that is under the regulatory glare following troubles at the promoter group.
The NSEL scam, involving Rs 5,600 crore, came to light after the now defunct exchange, promoted by Financial Technologies, failed to pay its investors.
Commodity futures market's dream run came to a halt in 2013 as a Rs 5,600 crore scam in Jignesh Shah-led spot exchange NSEL and imposition of transaction tax on non-farm items hampered the growth of business, with turnover estimated to dip by 30 per cent to Rs 125 lakh crore.
MCX-SX on Friday said the rights issue would now close on April 17.
Acting according to the process directed by the Forward Markets Commission, the exchange realised Rs 7.77 crore (Rs 77.7 million) by auctioning underlying commodities in members' warehouses.
The FT stock took a beating, losing 80 per cent in two sessions before recovering. Though in an exchange announcement following the government's missive on July 12, FT identified NSEL as a material subsidiary, rumour mills contemplated two possible transactions: a sale between May 30 and June 30 which had led to the subsidiary becoming an associate and another transaction between June 30 and July 15 when the associate again became a subsidiary.
The latest attachment order was issued by the central probe agency against Ms PD Agroprocessors Pvt Ltd, one the defaulters at the bourse.
FMC approves commodity bourse's contract-launch calendar for two years.
Against varying claims its SGF ranged from Rs 839 crore (Rs 8.39 billion) to Rs 62 crore (Rs 620 million), between July 29 and August 14, the bourse had Rs 84.66 lakh (Rs 8.46 million) in the actual SGF.
Negotiations on with three brokers holding 5% of about Rs 5,500-crore (Rs 55 billion) overall dues
Chary also says some government officials have played an important role in favouring organisations that MCX competes with.
About Rs 5,600 crore (Rs 56 billion) of investments of some 13,000 investors are stuck in NSEL. Despite reports from several internal committees of regulators and investigative agencies pointing to fraudulent activities, there hasn't been any substantial enforcement action against the exchange or the officials.